Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Officially Retired

March 12, 2013

Yesterday was my last official day of work.  As of today I am no longer on vacation but I am RETIRED!  It is difficult to comprehend even after the lengthy time it has been since my retirement party and all of our travels. Retirement is something that we look forward to for many many years, but when it arrives it is difficult to believe it is really here.  All of my life I have worked.  I have had a paying job since I was 12 years old and was a paper boy.  Now it is time to enjoy our savings and put our efforts into family and the things that are really important.

I have settled into a routine here in New Mexico where I read a few investment blogs in the morning and catch up on the news, then I have breakfast with the grand kids.  This is followed by doing a few home repairs that need attention and helping the girls with their school work.  After lunch while the grand kids are having naps and "quiet time" I go for a bike ride.  In any spare time I have been working on completing our income taxes and organizing our files that we are packing around with us.  I am also going though a daily Italian course on the Ipad that is beginning to get difficult. I will persevere because I am convinced that this effort now will make it easier when we get to Italy.

I do have to say that the best part about being retired is the feeling that we can pick up and leave and go anywhere we want at any time.  It is a very liberating feeling.  But even with that freedom there are priorities and responsibilities.  Just because we have reached the stage when we have accumulated enough wealth to leave the working world does not mean it is all about us.  We must focus on our priorities and goals and stay busy doing what we can to make wise decisions.

I have lost the connecting cable that allows us to download pictures from the camera to the computer.  As soon as possible I will post of few pictures.

Take care

Marv

No comments:

Post a Comment