Friday, March 15, 2013

Farmington

Friday, March 15, 2013

Today is our last day in Farmington for a while.  Tomorrow we leave bright and early to drive down to Tucson to visit Ted, KC and Lu.

I found the cable for my little camera so hear are a couple of pictures.  Last Saturday we we drove to Chaco Canyon to see the Indian Ruins there.  WOW! it was way more than I expected. There were 7 or 8 major villages.  And each village was very large.  I was very impressed.  It snowed that day and there was a very stiff breeze (the only cold day we have had here).


This week we went to a private museum here in Farmington.  This guy struck it rich in the oil fields here in the San Juan valley and spent every spare moment he had traveling the world collecting specimens and having them mounted.  There were thousands of them!


He had animals from every continent.  There were birds, reptiles, fish, amphibians, mammals, even a few spiders and insects.  It was truly amazing.  The museum is open to the public by appointment only.  It was a great trip. (about 2 miles from Leigh's home).


The place I have been riding my bike is up on the mesa south of the valley.  It is owned by the Navajo and appears to be a well run major corporate farm spotted with oil and gas wells.  Most of the roads are paved (chipped) and there is very little traffic.  Perfect for biking. My 1st ride up there I got two flats from thorns so I ordered thorn resistant tubes and have had no troubles since.  In the picture below beyond the farm is Farmington with the La Plata mountains in Colorado in the distance.  Today was a little cloudy so the mountains do not stand out as much as on a clear blue sky like it is most days here.  Today it got up to 75 degrees with almost no wind.  It was a great ride!

 
Today I received what I believe is my last check stub from Northshore Mining.  It will be tough to see those paychecks stop.  It was a great 15 years up in Minnesota.  But it sure is nice down here in the warm southwest.

Marv

No comments:

Post a Comment