Thursday, April 4, 2013

Lee J Holladay - Scoutmaster

April 4, 2013

On Monday of this week we left New Mexico and began traveling north.  The plan is to visit friends and relatives along the way and end up in Idaho Falls by the end of the week.  On our trip we drove through Cortez  CO and Monticello UT.  We ate lunch in Monticello and were surprised how tiny a town this is.  There is no fast food anywhere. There were load of motels and hotels, but no fast food.  We finally found a Subway in a gas station. 

For several months I have been calling my old scoutmaster who lives in Moab UT, but have never been able to find him home.  I even called my buddy Steve Borg to make sure I had the correct phone number.  All weekend I called and called and no answer.  I had almost given up finding him.  I went on line and found an address for a Brent Holladay in Moab and hoped that this was a relative and they could help out.  We pulled into Moab, found the address and found out it was his brother.  And Lee J Holladay that I was trying to find lived next door.  I knocked on the door and there he was!

Mr. Holladay was very lucid and with it.  He was happy and full of stories just like I remember when I was a teenager.  We spent 2 hours of bliss talking and reminiscing about all of our experiences in the Boy Scouts. He showed me pictures of a recent national Jamboree he went to where he was rappelling down this tower at age 78!  Mr. Holladay was a real blessing in my life.  He was an anchor that the boys in the scout troop could always count on.  He took us on a campout every month for at least 3 1/2 years.  He was always there for us.


 
Mr Holladay is 86 now.  His wife Nettie died a couple of years ago. He has shrunk a little, but he is still a giant in my eyes.  He has served his whole adult life as a Scout Master. He has helped countless boys grow up to be men of honor.   He is a man I will always admire and never forget.
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I love that you got to visit him and even more I love that you have a picture and blogged about it. Recording these memories and experiences is such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this story! So cool to have this pop up on my first Google search for my Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete