Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ravenna II

Sunday we drove back through Ravenna and stopped at the Classic Mosaic sight that we missed on Friday because we were too late in the day.  First was the Basilica di San Vitale where one end of the church is still completely covered with fabulous mosaics.

On the right is Abraham about to sacrifice Isaac with the hand of God coming down out of the clouds to stop him.

This is Christ in the center (no beard) 


Able and Melchisideck offering sacrifices to God, with Gods hand coming down from the clouds


While the fine colorful mosaics were fabulous, I also enjoys the patterns of the larger mosaics on the floor.






Next we went across the yard to Mausoleum of Galla Placidia.  The cieling is a starry night with over 800 stars.


It was quite dark and so my pictures are rather blurry.

Here is one of my favorites - "The Good Shepard"


The Basilica as we walked back through the grounds.


Flying Buttresses


Bell tower

We next drove across town to the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo.  

Here all the upper walls along the main chapel are covered with fabulous mosaics.

One the of the things I really liked was on the very top row were 13 panels that told new testament stories of Jesus.

Christ with 4 angels

On the right you can see the three magi coming to see the Christ child.




Bell Tower

After seeing the mosaics in Ravenna, I am very interested in doing more study and research into the ancient church to see how similar their beliefs and practices are to the restored Gospel.

I have also fallen in love with mosacis.  When I get home and have some spare time on my hands I plan in learning how to do mosaics and complete several projects.  Should be fun.

1 comment: